Offering something of value, and then engaging subscribers in permission marketing is a key part of a modern website marketing strategy. Examples might include:
- Follow up emails from e-commerce purchases
- Sequential lessons for a free online course
- News and tips from a topic niche site
Obviously a key part of an email marketing plan is reliable technology. There are several email extensions for Joomla that I have reviewed, but the solution I use myself and recommend to others is to use a 3rd party hosted solution.
The benefit of a 3rd party solution is significant:
- Your email will have a higher deliverability rate
- Your IP is not being used to send the emails so cannot be blacklisted at the ISP level
- The solution is usually more sophisticated with detailed statistics and autoresponders
Having also reviewed hosted email marketing solutions, for me the clear winner is iContact. We like this email service so much we actually developed an extension to integrate it into Joomla called J!Contact (you can download it for free in the download section).
Regardless of what technological solution you use, email marketing is a key factor in successfully building traffic to the modern website. Ignore it at your peril!