Many people have been waiting for several extensions to catch up to Joomla 1.6 and Joomla 1.7 before building sites in these Joomla versions. In general, most extensions that worked in Joomla 1.6 are also working in Joomla 1.7. However, several popular extensions developers have not yet released their products as 1.6 or 1.7 compatible. Here’s status on several.
- redSHOP, a fully featured Joomla shopping cart, has said their 1.6/1.7 compatible version of their cart on August 15.
- JCE, the Joomla Content Editor that many developers use to replace tinyMCE in their Joomla sites, is now 1.6 compatible. The developer continues to release new features that work with 1.6 and 1.7.
- K2, the popular content construction kit, is available in a beta version (2.5). No word on when the final version will be released.
- ZOO, an alternative content construction kit available from YOOtheme, is now available for 1.6.
- DOCman 1.6 was released in mid-July. This works in 1.6 and 1.7 now.
Of the eight Editor’s Pick extensions in the Joomla Extensions Directory, support is listed as follows:
- Joomla 1.5, 1.6, 1.7: Akeeba Backup, sh404SEF
- Joomla 1.5, 1.6: Community Builder, eXtplorer, JCE
- Joomla 1.5 only: VirtueMart, Joom!Fish, Mosets Hot Property
Of those listed without Joomla 1.6 support, Joom!Fish states they are moving toward Joomla 1.6, but no timeline is given. Virtuemart seems to have ongoing issues with compatibility with 1.6 and 1.7. No information appears to be available for Mosets Hot Property.
It would be nice if extensions developers would take the time to post on their site, in some easy-to-find location, whether they have plans to move their extensions to 1.6 or 1.7 (or beyond).